Editor’s Note: Since we’re spending time at home with our little ones more than ever, we thought it would be fun to share some kids construction content like crafts, STEM projects, etc. Stay tuned for a sister site dedicated to kids and construction in 2021.
Does the cooler weather have you stuck inside? Grab some mini marshmallows, toothpicks, straws and pipe cleaners and build some houses. Check out two projects below!
- Mini marshmallows
1. Poke 4 toothpicks into 4 marshmallows to make a square.
2. Poke 4 more toothpicks into the marshmallows so they are standing up. Add one marshmallow on the top of each toothpick.
3. Make a square by adding 4 toothpicks and connecting the marshmallows. Now you have a cube!
4. Add a roof by adding 4 more toothpicks and connecting them in the middle with a marshmallow.
- Plastic straws
- Pipe cleaners
1. Cut straws and pipe cleaners into smaller pieces.
2. Poke a pipe cleaner into a straw and bend. Add more straws and pipe cleaners until you make a square.
3. Bend 4 pipe cleaners and poke them into the corners of the square so they are standing up. Add 4 straw pieces. Bend and poke 4 more pipe cleaners and add straws to make a second square. Now you have a cube!
4. Add and bend 4 more pipe cleaners and straws to make a roof. Connect by bending pipe cleaners and poking them into the diagonal straws.