Honda Power Equipment introduced two, all-new open frame inverter (OFI) generators at GIE+EXPO 2016, the largest trade show for outdoor power equipment, lawn and garden equipment, light construction and landscape equipment. The new Honda EB2800i industrial model and EG2800i consumer model expand the company’s portable power offering for light construction and home use applications, delivering more of what Honda generator customers have come to expect: quiet operation, high-quality power, fuel efficiency, and long run times in a lightweight, portable package.
“Market demand for portable generators of less than 4,000 watts is growing, and Honda Power Equipment is meeting this demand by expanding its portfolio of quiet, portable power, with two new open-frame inverter models,” said Michael Rudolph, vice president – Honda Power Equipment Division. “The all-new Honda EB2800i and EG2800i models are Honda’s first generators to be assembled in the United States. Both new generators are the lightest weight open frame generator in their class and incorporate Honda’s leading inverter technology and innovative features at an affordable price for both industrial and home users.”
The Honda EB2800i industrial OFI generator, the newest addition to the Honda Industrial Series lineup, was developed to serve the contractor market, providing high-quality power for multiple tool use on the jobsite. At an industry-leading dry weight of less than 67 pounds, the EB2000i portable was designed with the single worker in mind. The new Honda generator is light enough for one person to load and unload from a truck, operate, and carry around the jobsite, all while providing ample power for a variety of tools including small compressors, air circulation fans, large concrete drills, multiple hand tools, electric concrete vibrators, circular saws and battery chargers up to 2,800 watts. The Honda EB2800i complies with current OSHA and LA-ETL regulations while ensuring safe operation with GFCI protected receptacles.
For residential applications, the Honda EG2800i provides quiet operation and sufficient power to keep the basics running such as a refrigerator, freezer, furnace blower motor, several lights, microwaves and TVs during a power outage. The all-new Economy Series model weighs in at an industry-best dry weight of less than 67 pounds and comes equipped with a 30 Amp / 120 Volt receptacle for easy connection to a home transfer switch.
Perhaps the most practical, yet important features of interest to consumers who are purchasing a generator is the amount and the quality of power produced by the unit. The Honda EB2800i and EG2800i models offer a maximum 2,800 watts of electricity with a wave form distortion factor of less than five percent. This translates into a generous amount of usable power available for a wide range of industrial and residential applications. Ease of use also is key for any portable generator, and these all-new open-frame inverter models include easy-start control panel instructions.
In addition, both the Honda EB2800i and EG2800i feature rugged, full-frame protection and share a number of features and benefits that make these portable units the ideal choice for quiet, dependable power:
- • Inverter technology is designed to power computers and sensitive electronic equipment that demand consistent electrical current with a stable sine wave or signal. A computer or newer sensitive appliance operating on fluctuating power could possibly freeze, shut down, or be damaged. To overcome this problem, Honda engineers developed inverter technology, which allows Honda generators with this technology to provide cleaner current to power electronic equipment. Further, inverter technology substantially reduces weight and sound levels of these units.
- • Eco Throttle allows the generators to conserve fuel by varying engine speed to the optimum level (given usage load), improving fuel efficiency and maximizing run time.
- • Large, new 2.1 gallon gas tank provides 5.1 hours of operation per tankful of gas at rated load or 12.1 hours at ¼ load.
- • Automatic Overload helps if the demand on the generator is greater than the possible output power; the generator protects itself by shutting down. Running a generator in excess of its maximum output power shortens its life. This Honda safety feature helps extend the life of the generator
- • A large muffler design contributes to quiet operation; both models have industry-best sound levels of 61-69 dB(A) measured at 7 meters.
- • The Honda EB2800i generators incorporate individual outlet circuit protection; neutral bonded GFCI 20 Amp 120 Volt receptacles and meet LA-ETL and OSHA requirements.
The Power Behind the All-New Honda EB2800i and EG2800i Generators
The all-new Honda EB2800i and EG2800i OFI generators are powered by the Honda GC190 horizontal shaft engine — a quiet, four-stroke model specifically designed for premium, quality residential power equipment applications including pressure washers, water pumps, compressors, and portable generators. Innovative Honda design features, including the world’s first internal timing belt on an engine of this kind and a uniblock construction, make the GC190 engine lighter and more compact than other engines in its class with significantly reduced noise and fuel consumption. Combined with Honda’s innovative lubrication system, the result is a simple, sophisticated design that minimizes the number of parts and can reduce potential maintenance needs.
The Honda GC190 engine also is equipped with the Honda Oil Alert system, designed to prevent engine damage caused by an insufficient amount of oil in the crankcase. Before the oil level in the crankcase can fall below a safe limit, the Oil Alert system is designed to automatically stop the engine, protecting it from expensive repairs.
Price and Availability
The Honda EB2800i and EG2800i OFI generators deliver customers high-quality power and tremendous value in a lightweight, quiet-running, portable package. With a starting U.S. manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $1,149.95, these all-new models deliver exceptional performance for both commercial and residential markets. The Honda generators carry a three-year residential and one-year commercial warranty and are available now at local or online authorized Honda dealers.